Welcome to Lynn County!
In December 1902, over 100 people met around a bonfire in a ravine southwest of Tahoka Lake and voted to petition for county organization and to select a townsite for a county seat to be named “Tahoka” an Indian word meaning “fresh water”. Early in 1903 B.G. Sweet, Jack Alley, and W.T. “Bill” Petty organized the Tahoka Townsite Company. Sweet Surveyed the land and platted the town, and he and L.E. King established the first mercantile store opposite the southwest corner of the public square. County elections were held on April 7, 1903, and the Tahoka post office was opened April 30, with Fannie N. Henderson as postmaster. Tohoka soon boasted a two-story frame courthouse, a school, two churches, a hotel, and several businesses, including a newspaper, “The Lynn County News”, first published on October 9, 1903, by Otis and Inez Lilly. In 1906, a bank (now the County Extension office) and a cotton gin were built. The Santa Fe Railroad was extended from Slaton to Tahoka in 1910. And for several years Tahoka was one of the largest cattle shipping points in the Nation. The community was incorporated on June 13, 1915, and J.E. Stokes was Elected Mayor. Today Tahoka serves as a trade center for Lynn County farmers and ranchers.